Thursday, April 29, 2010

Carving it up!

Well finally got a chance to take a picture of the wood block that I have started to carve, well this one is a linoleum block, something that Liz had suggested to try being new to block printing since the linoleum is softer and easier to carve. I wanted to take a picture of of it before I carved out too much of it so I could keep track of it as work in progress. I think it will be fun.

Little did I realize when I drew up this little darling sitting in Liz's basement and learning about the carving chisels and getting all sorts of good tips on the dos and don'ts of putting a sharp object to soft surface to make art, that I subconsciously chose cherries for a reason. Liz suggested that I put something in the little rattie's hands and I decided that I wanted to make the rat white so the cherries would stand out. Low and behold after I got home and thought about it I drew up a representation of a rat that I used to own named Sakura who was a dumbo albino rex, who's name means Cherry Blossom. So if it doesn't seem like it will be too hard I will add in cherry blossoms into the corners of the block to go along with the cherries she is sneaking away with.

No comments:

Post a Comment